Learn How to Pack:
Click on the appropriate box for more information on packing:
Learn How to Pack Computers
Make sure you back up all your files in the computer before packing. You can do simply by buying a backup external drive.
The following items will be needed to secure your computers for moving, and are similiar to tips for moving electronics like stereos or radios
- Original computer boxes including original packing material.
- Blank newsprint paper, bubble wrap, Styrofoam peanuts.
- Two sets of boxes, one larger that the other (for double-boxing)
- Pack your disks into a separate box. Avoid any contact with anything magnetic.
- Unplug cables and wires and mark with matching holes so it's easy to reconnect when you're getting settled in to your new home.
- If you don't have the original boxes then skip to step 5.
- Pack each component in a plastic bag to keep dirt out, then inside the foam forms in the original boxes. Place all cables and accessories in the sides of each box and fill with peanuts or wadded blank newsprint paper.
- If you don't have the original boxes then use two boxes. Fill the smaller of the two boxes with peanuts, put the monitor or CPU in the middle, and make sure the component is not touching the sides. Fit in cables and accessories, close and seal that box, then fill the second box with peanuts or wadded newsprint paper, put the sealed box in, and fill around the rest of the way with peanuts or wadded newsprint paper.
- Pack all other computer components together with peanuts or white newsprint paper.
- Mark each box "Fragile – Computer".