When Buying Car Insurance, Get Enough Liability Coverage

When shopping for auto insurance, worry less about the car and more about yourself: insurance expert Jack Hungelmann recommends spending the most money on coverage for the kind of liability that could hurt you the most: personal injury. He says most people should have $1 million of coverage.

That may sound like a lot, but if you hit someone who makes $150,000 a year, putting that person out of work for an extended period of time or forcing them to change jobs, you might be sued for medical bills and lost wages that could easily reach that amount.

Liability coverage of $1 million is generally sold as an umbrella insurance policy covering your home and car. If you don't want that much coverage, Hungelmann recommends getting at least $500,000 of coverage on each.

The incremental cost of $1 million of coverage a year vs. $100,000 is relatively small, he says, perhaps $100 or $150 of premium costs.

If don't have that much cash, skimp on other kinds of auto coverage, such as damage to the car itself, and apply that savings toward personal liability coverage, he says.

"The worst kind of auto insurance has a low deductible and limited liability," Hungelmann says. "You're spending the same amount of money as someone with better coverage, but you're [doing a worse job of] allocating your dollars."

Types of Insurance Coverage

According to the Insurance Information Institute, an industry trade group, your auto insurance policy might include up to six kinds of coverage, each of which is priced separately.

Collision coverage pays for damage to your car as the result of a collision with another car.

Comprehensive coverage pays you back for loss that's attributable to theft or damage caused by something other than a collision with another car such as a natural disaster or a collision with a deer.

Property damage liability pays for damage you or another driver cause to someone else's car or anything else you hit.

Bodily injury covers damage that you as the driver or policyholder cause. It covers you when you are driving your car and when you are driving someone else's car with their permission.

Personal injury protection covers the treatment of injuries to you and anyone in your car. It may include lost wages as well as medical expenses.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage reimburses you or another designated driver who is hit by an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver.

Allison Bisbey Colter is a freelance writer in New Jersey whose work has appeared in The Wall Street Journal and American Banker. She is a former editor at TheStreet.com and a former reporter for Dow Jones Newswires.