Storage Guide: Mobile Tips
Here are some helpful hints on packing your mobile self storage
- Place a plastic sheet, tarps or plywood along the base of the container to prevent water damage and better protect your items.
- Try to evenly distribute the weight in your container rather than placing all the items on one side of the unit.
- Place the heaviest items on the bottom while putting the lightweight items on the top.
- Use bubble pack, moving blankets and paper pads to protect your items when packing and to prevent scratching and damage.
- Completely fill all moving boxes and ensure that you have properly closed all box lids.
- Try to pack the items in the container as tightly as possible. The less open space that you leave in the container the less likely it is that items will shift and break.
- Keep the door open with something very heavy or with someone who is helping out to ensure that it does not shut unexpectedly.
- Try not to put too many heavy items (such as books) into big boxes. By using smaller boxes for heavier items, it will make it much easier to move these items in to and out of the container.
- Large boxes are much better for lightweight items as you can move many items in a single box.
- Always keep you mobile container locked when you are not using. A strong commercial grade padlock is an effective means of securing your container.
- Prepare an inventory list when you packing the container so you know what you have packed.
Here are some other helpful hints for some specific items that you may need to pack in your container:Mattresses
: Place them along the side of your container.Mirrors and Pictures
: Try to use paper and bubble wrap when packing your mirrors and pictures
and then place them inside of a mirror packing box. You do not want to lay your mirror boxes flat as it increases the likelihood of breakage a good place to put your mirror boxes is near your mattresses and box springs or in a protected place along the side of your mobile unit.Appliances
: As appliances
are often very expensive and can be quite heavy they can be a packing challenge. Start by doing a good cleaning to remove any surface dirt from the inside and outside of the appliances. Ensure that all water has been drained from the appliances and leave the door open slightly to avoid any mildew building up. You should place any lightweight items inside the appliance to prevent them from being misplaces and try to secure any moving parts (such as doors) with a strong industrial tape.Clothing
: It is always recommended that you use wardrobe boxes to store your clothing
items. These boxes have a convenient metal bar to allow your hanging clothes to remain in a position similar to how they are kept in your closet. You can use the bottom of the box for shoes, bags and other smaller items.