Moving Abroad: What Paperwork Do You Need?


Moving to another country can be an exciting prospect, but it also has its challenges. Aside from the distance and increased moving company costs, you also need the proper paperwork. It’s not as simple as packing up and going. People who move abroad must have the proper paperwork. Here are some items you should get together before you move out of the country.

Passports, Visas and Permits.
A passport is necessary anytime you travel abroad. You have to make sure you and everyone in your family have up-to-date passports, that means that it should be valid for at least 6 months, but a year or more is safer if your move is permanent or long-term. If you’ve never had a passport, you can go to the post office, but do know that in peak seasons, this can take up to 8 weeks.

Unless the country you’re moving to has some sort of treaty with the US, you’ll need a valid visa or residence permit. Different countries have different rules, and most likely you will need a reason why you want to move there, whether you have employment, for studies or a company transfer. Usually, once you’re used your visa to enter, you may have to get a residence permit of some sort. Do not get a tourist or visitor visa if you plan to live and work there - this is dishonest and you can be deported or worse.

Original Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates etc.
If you’re moving internationally, you may need proof of your original citizenship and your relationship. A birth certificate is one of the most widely accepted proof of identity, which you’ll need to open bank accounts, get drivers licenses, rent or buy a home or vehicle, etc. If you’re bringing your family with you, then usually you will need proof of your relationship so they can come as dependents on your visa. You marriage certificate is important for your spouse and birth certificates or adoption papers for your kids.

Medical and Dental Records.
Health care is important for everyone. If you have any medical conditions, you want to let your doctor know, but even if you’re healthy, it’s good to take medical and dental records with you. Of course, your new doctor will sit you down and ask you about your medical history, but it’s best to have your records on hand so they’ll have a better understanding of your health.

Depending on your moving situation, you may also want too bring other documents, like tax certificates, house or car deeds, or even professional licenses and academic degrees. It’s always better to be over prepared, otherwise, you may have to take a trip back just to get paperwork done.