When is the Best Time to Move with Children?
By VanLines.com Staff
Although it is always best (and somewhat easier) to move during the summer period to start the children in school during the beginning of a new school year, this is not always possible. Given the other alternatives, experts are divided on the best time to move when you have children that are in school. Some experts think that moving during the holidays is ideal, while others believe it is best to move before school year so that children can naturally adapt.
The decision though is up to you and your family. If you have the flexibility to choose when you move your family, then you should consider a couple of points when making your decision.
Moving during holidays:
- Since children are out of school for their long breaks their studies will not be interrupted.
- You can also use this time to organize the details of moving such as calling a moving company, packing and obtaining boxes.
- When moving during the holidays, your kids will start during the new term with other new kids and therefore may not be considered the 'new kids on the block.'
- Other activities such as sports or extra-curricular activities may begin after major holidays..
Moving during school:
- Your children will make friends more quickly because they immediately jump into the classroom environment.
- A quickly established routine may help your children adapt easier.
Moving during summer:
- You will have ample time to move, get acclimated into your new area and get the kids excited about their new school.
- Your kids will have enough time to say goodbye to their friends.
- Your kids will feel comfortable in their new area that will help them ease in their new school.
Given the inherent challenges that these options create for your school age children, you will want to carefully way all the factors before making your final decision. Most moving companies will provide meaningful discounts when you are not moving during the busy summer moving season, which is yet another factor that you will want to take into account when you choose your date to move.